This monograph explores ways by which natural resource managers can address wastewater pollution as a result of rapid industrialization and other economic activities. The ecosystem damages focused on in this monograph resulted mainly from the dumping of untreated wastewater from industries and intensive aquaculture.
While the studies reviewed for this monograph are mainly from Vietnam, they mirror issues and concerns prevalent in the region and are thus a rich source of both empirical and anecdotal information and experiences. The management strategies featured are general enough to transcend different socio-economic and political settings. These are presented so that users will build upon and adapt these strategies to better suit their unique situations.
EEPSEA Studies Cited in this Monograph
Insights and recommendations presented in this monograph came from the following studies on environmental and resource economics of the Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia:
- Catelo, M.A.; A.J. Sajise; B.A. Darvin; and P.J. Ramirez. 2007. Impact evaluation of the environmental user fee system: A stakeholder perspective. Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), International Development Research Centre (IDRC). Singapore. http://www.eepsea.org/o-k2/view-item/id-307/Itemid-385/
- Huynh V.K. 2011. The costs of industrial water pollution on rice production in Vietnam. EEPSEA, IDRC. Singapore. http://www.eepsea.org/o-k2/view-item/id-406/Itemid-385/
Le H.T. 2011. Greening the leather tanning industry in Vietnam. EEPSEA, IDRC. Singapore. http://www.eepsea.org/o-k2/view-item/id-412/Itemid-192/
- Le H.T. 2009. Assessing the impacts of environmental regulations on the food processing industry in Vietnam. EEPSEA, IDRC. Singapore. http://www.eepsea.org/o-k2/view-item/id-209/Itemid-192/
- Nguyen M.D. and Tran T.T.H. 2009. Pollution control options for handicraft villages: The case of Duong Lieu Village in the Red River Delta, Vietnam. EEPSEA, IDRC. Singapore. http://www.eepsea.org/o-k2/view-item/id-199/Itemid-192/
- Muong, S. 2006. The implementation of effluent taxes for Cambodian industry: An assessment of pollutant levies. EEPSEA, IDRC. Singapore. http://www.eepsea.org/o-k2/view-item/id-187/Itemid-265/
- Pornpinatepong, K.; S. Kiripat; S. Treewanchai; S. Chongwilaikasaem; C. Pornsawang; P. Chantarasap; C. Chandee; and P. Jantrakul. 2010. Pollution control and sustainable fisheries management in Songkhla Lake, Thailand. EEPSEA, IDRC. Singapore. http://www.eepsea.org/o-k2/view-item/id-380/Itemid-192/
- Thanthathep, K.; P. Douangphila; and S. Khamphanh. 2009. An assessment of paper mill wastewater impacts and treatment options in Vientiane Capital City, Lao PDR. EEPSEA, IDRC. Singapore. http://www.eepsea.org/o-k2/view-item/id-362/Itemid-385/
- Vo T.L.; Ky Q.V.; and Ngo T.T.T. 2009. Environmental consequences of and pollution control options for pond “tra” fish production in Thotnot District, Can Tho City, Vietnam. EEPSEA, IDRC. Singapore. http://www.eepsea.org/o-k2/view-item/id-183/Itemid-192/