|TITLE||EEPSEA Introductory Course on Environmental Economics|
|DESCRIPTION||This nine-day intensive course in environmental and resource economics is intended primarily for researchers and university lecturers in the Lower Mekong Sub-regional of Southeast Asia (Cambodia, Lao PDR and Myanmar) to prepare them to teach this subject, to conduct research, and to respond to requests for analysis from government agencies. Participants will learn to apply the principles of economic analysis to environmental problems. EEPSEA expects participants to develop a research proposal after the course for submission to EEPSEA Small Research Grant at its annual competition.|
6 – 15 May 2020
[Update: Due to the Corona-virus Pandemic, the training will be rescheduled to another time which is safe and convenient for participants. EEPSEA still receives the application submission and will make the final announcement when the pandemic officially ends]
|VENUE||Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam|
|PARTNERS||This course will be conducted in close partnership with the Economy & Environment Institute for the Lower Mekong Sub-region (EEI-LMS), a member of the Economy and Environment Partnership for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA Partnership).|
The course is introductory and designed to enable participants to understand the linkages between economic activities and the environment and vice versa. It discusses theories and tools that can be used to understand and measure these relationships so that appropriate decisions on how best to manage the environment and the natural resources can be identified.
The course will discuss selected research topics related to main environmental problems in the Southeast Asia such as economics of payment for ecosystem services, environmental valuation, and climate change economics. These topical modules will include conceptual framework, examples, case studies and research tools.
After the training, the participants should be able to:
- Explain the linkages between economic activities and the environment; and
- Discuss theories and tools that can be used to understand and measure these linkages so that appropriate decisions on how to best manage the environment and natural resources can be identified.
- Develop a research proposal that can be submitted for EEPSEA small research grant
The course is tailored for research purposes with research-oriented topics. It starts with background knowledge on key research concepts in environmental economics. Each lecture would typically be a discussion of a research topic. A lecture will be divided into two parts: concepts/analytical models and applications/case studies/exercises.
- Pham Khanh Nam, Ph.D, EEPSEA director & University of Economics HCMC
- Phumsith Mahasuweerachai, Ph.D, EEI-LMS director, Khon Kaen University
- Piyaluk Buddhawongsa, Assoc. Prof., Ph.D, Chiang Mai University
- Orapan Nabangchang, Assoc. Prof., EEPSEA senior economist & Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University
- Truong Dang Thuy, Ph.D., University of Economics HCMC
- Introduction to Environmental Economics
- Environmental Valuation Methods
- Environmental Valuation for Economic and Policy Analysis
- Research in Environmental Economics
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must be the nationals of the following Southeast Asian countries: Cambodia, Lao PDR and Myanmar with basic economics background and research experience. Preference will be given to individuals who are in a position to carry out research projects.
Application submissions should include the following:
- Detailed CV;
- A research idea related to economy & environment (less than one page); and
- Letter of application indicating the motivation where/how applicant intends to use what is learned from the course.
The course participation of accepted applicants will be fully sponsored. The EEPSEA Partnership will cover the following: round-trip travel expense to Vietnam; accommodation; and meal allowance.
Deadline of application requirements: 27 March 2020
Notification of acceptance: on or before 06 April 2020
[Update: Due to the Corona-virus, the application submissions are still acceptable until when the pandemic officially ends]
Note: Only chosen applicants will be personally notified
The call: 2020 EEPSEA Call for Training LMS